Skip Tags

Popular Tags

Decorative icon

The Resource Center Credit Fraud & Credit Monitoring | article

How to Dispute Errors on Your Credit Report

What should I do if there is an error?

An error can appear on your credit report for any number of reasons, whether it is a mistake on the part of the credit reporting bureau, an erroneous charge from your credit provider or even an act of identity theft marring your otherwise solid fiscal profile. If you aren’t active about credit monitoring, mistakes like these could occur without you ever noticing, which could hamper your chances of getting the best deals on loans or qualifying for major borrowing agreements down the line. Being an active credit monitor alone won’t prevent these mistakes from happening, and when they do, you have to take several steps to make sure they aren’t painting an inaccurate picture of you to lenders.

Step 1: Reach out to the credit reporting bureau

If you notice something irregular on one of your credit reports, you first want to see if this is an isolated incident with the bureau. Order copies from all three credit reporting agencies – TransUnion, Experian and Equifax – and look to see if this mistake is an issue on all your documents or just an error from one of the agencies.

If it is an isolated case, send a letter in writing to the credit reporting company using the sample provided by the Federal Trade Commission as a template, highlighting the inaccuracies, including copies supporting this accusation (credit card and bank statements, for example). Make sure you send it through certified mail with a return receipt requested to ensure that all of this personal information falls into the right hands.

Credit companies generally have 30 days to investigate any questions unless they consider your dispute frivolous. If they fail to give you an answer before this time elapses, it is on them to accept the mistake as their error and remedy the situation.

You should take these same steps if the mistake appears on all three reports from the credit bureaus, but there are other avenues you must go down for reparation should this be a bigger issue.

Step 2: Contact your creditors

You then must reach out to the creditor or account where the mistake originated using the same template as before. You want to provide evidence of the error as well as personal information to support your claim, but be careful not to provide original documents, as you must keep these for your records. Instead, make copies of all documents for the creditor to review.

Who to reach out to? Again, it is important that you make your dispute in writing and to not hesitate in providing as much documentation as possible to support your claim – though you only want to send copies, not original documents. But often you’ll need to do more than rely on snail mail to make sure your claim finds its way into the right hands. Here is the appropriate contact information for all the credit monitoring bureaus you should be in touch with:




By mail: Click here to download the dispute form

Mail the dispute form with your letter to:

Equifax Information Services LLC

P.O. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374

By phone: Phone number provided on credit report or (800) 864-2978




By mail: Use the address provided on your credit report or mail your letter to:


P.O. Box 4000

Allen, TX 75013

By phone: Phone number provided on credit report or (888) 397-3742




By mail: Click here to download the dispute form

Mail the dispute form with your letter to:

TransUnion Consumer Solutions

P.O. Box 2000,

Chester, PA 19022-2000

By phone: 800-916-8800