Learn more about how to help keep yourself safe while scouting for deals online.
Everyone from toddlers to seniors are vulnerable to identity theft, which is especially troubling because young children and the elderly may not be equipped with the proper knowledge or means to protect their identities. Even individuals who are technically savvy and are cautious about sharing their information can be affected by identity theft.
Help your family protect itself from identity theft with these tips:
- Buy a shredder — Documents like bank statements or records that may contain personal identification information should be shredded immediately. Shred any mail like this before you throw it out.
- Lock up sensitive documents — Your families Social Security cards, birth certificates and passports should all be hidden away in a safe secure location — away from thieves.
- Keep an eye on the internet — It’s easy to fall victim to identity theft when you visit non-secure websites. Make sure the virus software and security features on the family computer are up to date.
- Check those credit reports — The FTC recommends that everyone over the age of 16 at least check to see if they have a credit report, and then inspect it thoroughly for signs of theft.
- Engage extra help — Complete protection from identity theft can never be guaranteed, but when you use a trusted identity monitoring service, you can rest a little easier knowing someone else is helping to watch out for you and your loved ones.
We know that it can be alarming to hear about threats to your privacy and data breaches that could compromise your identity. Sometimes it can seem that you have to change everything about the way you live your life just to be more secure.
Family is important, and Identity Guard can help you find the right service to fit your needs and lifestyle. Start doing more to today and enroll in Identity Guard. By leveraging IBM Watson technology, Identity Guard is always working to provide you with powerful identity protection for you and your family.