Benefits of Identity Theft Coverage
This Summary is provided to inform you that as a member of Identity Guard®you are entitled benefits under the Master Policy referenced below. This Summary Description of Benefits does not state all the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the Policy. Your benefits will be subject to all of the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the Master Policy, even if they are not mentioned in this Summary. A complete copy of the Policy will be provided upon request.
The Master Policy for Personal Internet Identity Coverage has been issued to: Intersections Insurance Services Inc. (the “Master Policy Holder”), Policy Number: 7077714 underwritten by insurance company subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group, Inc., to provide benefits as described in this Summary.
Should you have any questions regarding the Membership Program provided by the Master Policyholder, or wish to view a complete copy of the Master Policy, please call the customer service number located in your membership materials.
LIMIT OF INSURANCE
|Aggregate Limit of Insurance:||$2,500 or $20,000 per policy period|
|Lost Wages:||$2,000 per week, for 5 weeks maximum|
|Travel Expenses:||$1,000 per policy period|
|Elder Care, Spousal Care, and Child Care:||$2,000 per policy period|
|Deductible:||$250 per policy period|
The most we shall pay you cannot exceed the Aggregate Limit of Insurance above. Legal fees and private investigator fees are subject to prior approval. All Legal Costs shall be part of and subject to the Aggregate Limit of Insurance. LEGAL COSTS ARE PART OF, AND NOT IN ADDITION TO, THE LIMIT OF INSURANCE.
The Lost Wages, Travel Expense, and Elder Care/Child Care Limits of Insurance shown above are sublimits of the Aggregate Limit of Insurance and the most we shall pay you for lost wages, travel expense, and elder care/child care.
FILING A CLAIM
If you have any questions regarding the identity theft insurance coverage or wish to file a claim under the Master Policy, please contact the Insurer at 1-866-IDHelp2 (1-866-434-3572).
This is a group master policy issued to Intersections Insurance Services Inc. (“Intersections”). If this Master Policy is terminated, your benefits will cease effective that date. It is the obligation of the Master Policyholder to inform you of any termination of the Master Policy.
We shall pay you for the following losses incurred as a result of a Stolen Identity Event:
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you in the United States for re-filing applications for loans, grants or other credit instruments that are rejected solely as a result of a Stolen Identity Event;
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you in the United States for notarizing affidavits or other similar documents, long distance telephone calls and postage solely as a result of your efforts to report a Stolen Identity Event and/or amend or rectify records as to your true name or identity as a result of a Stolen Identity Event;
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you for up to six credit reports from established credit bureaus (with no more than two reports from any one credit bureau) dated within 12 months after your discovery of a Stolen Identity Event;
- Reasonable and necessary costs of travel within the United States incurred as a result of your efforts to amend or rectify records as to your true name and identity;
- Reasonable and necessary costs for elder care, spousal care or child care incurred as a result of your efforts to amend or rectify records as to your true name or identity;
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you with our consent for a private investigator approved by us to amend or rectify records as to your true name and identity;
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you for ordering medical records for the purpose of amending and/or rectifying these documents as a result of a stolen identity event;
- Reasonable and necessary costs incurred by you for the replacement of identification cards, drivers licenses and passports as a result of a stolen identity event.
- Lost Wages
Actual lost wages earned in the United States, whether partial or whole days, for time reasonably and necessarily taken off work and away from your work premises solely as a result of your efforts to amend or rectify records as to your true name or identity as a result of a Stolen Identity Event. Actual lost wages includes remuneration for vacation days, discretionary days, floating holidays, and paid personal days and excludes business interruption or future earnings of a self-employed professional. Computation of lost wages for self-employed professionals must be supported by and will be based on prior year tax returns. Coverage is limited to wages lost within twelve months after your discovery of a Stolen Identity Event.
For purposes of the preceding paragraph, “wages earned in the United States” shall include wages paid to military and governmental employees working outside the United States who are employed by the United States and paid in US dollars.
- Legal Defense Fees and Expenses
Reasonable and necessary fees and expenses incurred in the United States by you with our consent for an attorney approved by us for:
- Defending any civil suit brought against you by a creditor or collection agency or entity acting on behalf of a creditor for non-payment of goods or services or default on a loan as a result of a Stolen Identity Event; and
- Removing any civil or criminal judgment wrongfully entered against you as a result of the Stolen Identity Event; and
- Criminal defense for charges brought against you as a result of the Stolen Identity Event. However, we will only pay for this after it has been established by acquittal or dropping of charges because you were not in fact the perpetrator; and
- Challenging the accuracy or completeness of any information in a consumer credit report as a result of a Stolen Identity Event.
- Challenging the accuracy or completeness of any information in the insured’s medical history as a result of a medical identity theft. It is further agreed that solely with respect to subparagraph (c) the insured, with our express prior written consent, may select such attorney.
- Challenging the accuracy or completeness of any information in the insured’s tax history as a result of a stolen identity event. It is further agreed that solely with respect to subparagraph (3) the insured, with our express prior written consent, may select such attorney.
Stolen Identity Event means the fraudulent use of your name, address, Social Security number, bank or credit card account number or other personally identifying information or other method of identifying you. This includes, but is not limited to, the fraudulent use of your personal identity to establish credit accounts, secure loans, enter into contracts or commit crimes. Stolen identity event shall include Medical identity theft. Medical Identity Theft means the theft of the insured's personal or health insurance information to obtain medical treatment, pharmaceutical services or medical insurance coverage. Medical identity theft also means the theft of the insured's personal or health insurance information to submit false claims for medical services or goods.
A Stolen Identity Event does not include the theft or unauthorized or illegal use of your business name, d/b/a or any other method of identifying your business activity.
The Master Policy provides benefits to you only if you report a Stolen Identity Event to us at the contact number stated above as soon as you become aware of a Stolen Identity Event but in no event later than 90 days after the Stolen Identity Event is discovered by you.
In addition, you must comply with Intersections’ identity theft recovery procedures including but not limited to calling 1-800-452-2541 to advise that you believe you have become a victim, filing a police report, and must follow the instructions given to you in a claims kits that you will be provided. These instructions will include notifying major credit bureaus, the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft Hotline and appropriate law enforcement authorities. This claims kit will also instruct you how to file for benefits under the policy if the Stolen Identity Event or an Unauthorized Loss of Funds Event results in losses covered under the Master Policy.
You will only be covered if you report the Stolen Identity Event to us within 90 days of discovery while you are actively enrolled in a Membership Program. You will not be covered if the Stolen Identity Event first occurs after termination of the Master Policy or termination of your membership in the Membership Program. Termination of your membership in the program shall not reduce or eliminate the 90 day period in which you can report to us a Stolen Identity Event.
We shall be excess over any other insurance, including, without limitation, homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. If you have other insurance that applies to a loss under this policy, the other insurance shall pay first. This policy applies to the amount of loss that is in excess of the Limit of Insurance of your other insurance. In no event shall we pay more than our Limits of Insurance as shown above.
Should you be enrolled in more than one Membership Program insured by us, or any of our affiliates, we will reimburse you under each Membership Program:
- Subject to the limits of liability of each insured Membership Program.
- But in no event shall the total amount reimbursed to you under all Membership Programs exceed the actual amount of loss.
- In no event shall the Limit of Insurance under all Membership Programs exceed the largest Limit of Insurance available to you under any Membership Program provided by us.
This policy shall not apply to any loss arising directly or indirectly out of the following:
- Any dishonest, criminal, malicious or fraudulent acts if you personally participated in, directed, or had prior knowledge of such acts.
- Any physical injury, sickness, disease, disability, shock, mental anguish, and mental injury, including required care, loss of services or death at any time resulting therefrom.
- Any loss arising from a Stolen Identity Event that is not reported to us within 90 days after it is first discovered by you.